This is a heart-warming tale of a brave Jack Russell mix Leo, who sat guarding four little cats from the flames in a house that stood ablaze and refused to budge until the newborns were safe.
It was the year 2008 when a house in Melbourne caught fire and all the members ran outside for safety. All but one!
Leo was nowhere to be seen! He was evidently indoors even when the tongues of fire leapt up and the house burned.
Animals are known to be able to sense danger much ahead of humans. It was therefore strange that Leo did not abandon the house even in these dire straits.
Nonetheless, upon their arrival, the firemen were requested to venture inside the smoldering building to rescue the canine. They scoured the house and finally spotted him through the heavy, acrid fumes.
He was sprawled over a hardboard box and had fainted due to lack of oxygen. It was only while they were carrying him out that they caught a glimpse of something moving beneath him.
They were appalled to learn that Leo was guarding four young cats at the cost of his life.
As the helpless foursome were unable to escape to safety, Leo refused to abandon them.
On the contrary, he decided to shelter them. He sprawled over their carton to shield them from the fumes and flames.
Consequently, Leo and the young cats were rescued and resuscitated with oxygen.
The Firemen were amazed at Leo’s bravado.
When the story got out, Leo received accolades for his noble actions besides the sobriquet, Smoky.
As soon as he regained consciousness, Leo was
anxious to make sure that the little cats were safe, which was indeed the case!
Based on materials: theepochtimes.com