A routine visit to the dentist became a terrible story for the mother of the girl named Amber Athwall.
The little girl was 4 years old and after being revised, several problems were found in her denture.
After the diagnosis, the mother received the recommendation of taking the little girl to a
specialist to treat
the girl’s cavities.
Amber’s mom could never
imagine that the doctor’s appointment would put the baby girl’s life at risk.
The mother took the child to a specialized dental center, where the moment the little girl arrived, they prepared a procedure and recommended general anaesthesia. However, the moment the surgery started, several problems appeared.
Amber was allergic to the anaesthesia
and that caused her breathing problems, in other words, the lack of oxygen caused neurological
damages in the left side of the girl’s brain.
The baby girl had to be taken to a hospital, where
specialists diagnosed her a brain disability that left the toddler in a wheel
chair for the rest of her life.
The brain damage prevents the girl from eating by herself, so at the
moment, she has to eat through a tube that is inserted into her stomach.
The income of Amber’s family is low, so they shared their tragedy via “GoFundMe” platform in order to ask for help to support their child.
The doctors that performed the
procedure on the girl presume that the girl had breakfast before going to the
hospital and maybe that was the reason of the reaction against the anaesthesia.
The director of the Dental Surgeons Association indicated that cases like
Amber’s rarely occur, but they keep searching.
To avoid complications, like in Amber's case, it is necessary for parents to look for information about general anaesthesia’s implementation and the risks related with that medicine.
What does the general anaesthesia
It is a procedure in which the
person is induced to unconscious state, which is reversible.
Anaesthesia is composed of several medications and serum which are delivered
Based on materials:wnews.life